It's been quite the week/weekend. Second week of classes down and my first out of Italy adventure. I've a ton of homework and it's been kind of overwhelming. Between Italian homework, The Holocaust, and multiple photo classes and assignments, I've been busy to say the least.
Last week I guiltily got gelato at this cute place called Perche No!, that my friend Ari told me about. So gooood, but slowly realizing that I like the fruitier flavors more than the sweet chocolates and caramel flavored gelato. Which is fine, because I feel less guilty about eating the fruitier ones even though they probably aren't any better FOR you. Anyway, aside from that, I had to buy a new pair of combat boots and a new coat since my boots had broken and I didn't bring my winter coat from home. It hasn't been this cold in Italy/Florence since the 1980's! I did however get a deal on this awesome gray, TOTALLY Italian fashion coat at a store called Dixie. I love it! Plus I got the scarf in the picture for 5Euro. Super warm. I feel like I fit in to say the least. Ps. sorry for the horrible phone image of it.
Thursday night all of my roommates and I left for Prague. Such an experience I'll never forget. We took a 12 hour bus from florence to prague over night. Yes 12 HOURS! So dreadful. Left at 8pm and arrived in Prague around 10am because of the pit stops along the way. I've never been more excited to be on ground for the next 3 days. Friday morning started with check in at the hostel "CzechInn." Then we went on a walking tour of old town with the New Europe/New Prague tour group. Super awesome. Although it was freeeezzzzingggggg and a 3 hour tour, it was totally worth it. We walked through the Jewish Quarters, through old town, and many other places around the heart of the city. We had some free time so we decided to go to this pub called "The Pub," really close to where the tour ended. They had a huge keg under every table and you basically kept score per table to person as to how much beer was consumed. I'm not a fan of bear so it was just funny watching the scores.
After that we got ready and went on Prague's famous pub crawl. Every pub we visited we got a free welcome shot. That was interesting. We started at a hole in the wall pub/bar that was underground in an Old Church basement that was also a Jewish Cemetery. In one of the rooms was a huge cement head of Stalin and many other odd things. It was all lit with candles, no electricity, but they had all you can drink, mixed, shots, or beer. (Vodka, Rum, or Absinthe.) That's what did everyone in and had us set for the rest of the night. We went to this awesome pub that played GREAT music and there was a ton of dancing. Such a different feel from the first place. The 3rd place was strange and super smokey but pretty decent. And the 4th we made it too but left because we were all getting super tired. It seemed SUPER awesome though and quite the party. The Moto of the company that puts this on is "The best night you will NEVER remember." I have a feeling there were a few people who lived up to this for sure.
Saturday morning, our weekend tour guide Shawnn Sullivan took us on his own little walking tour around Prague. We visited the Kafka Museum, The Lennon Wall, and a few other awesome places. I bought some street art (for 320 Czech Korun=a little less than $15), signed my name on the wall and took a TON of photos. I wanted to go to the Jewish Museums but found out after getting there they were closed on Saturdays. I was super bummed about this, I love studying the holocaust and was definitely looking forward to this. Aftwards we had some free time, I went and fell asleep at the hostel because of the lack of Jewish Museum options while my roommates went to dinner and the Beer Challenge Tour. Later that night I went to this strange 80's 90's music video club in the heart of the city. That was kind of odd, not really what I was expecting, but an experience none the less.
After a long weekend, we headed back sunday morning, well, noon, because the buses bathroom water pipes froze and busted and had to be fixed. So instead of a 10AM departure we left a little after 12 and arrived back in Florence around 12:30 AM. LONG day indeed. Thankfully nothing like that is planned this week for me, just a lot of roommie time. Emma turns 21 on the 15th! Obviously we will party it up as much as possible.
Above you'll see terrible point and shoot images as well as phone images. I decided to bring my film camera so the neat artsy ones won't be here until May once they are developed, so bear with me :] Also the mountain image is from my Flight TO Italy back in January.
Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment